Friday, January 25, 2019

Writers Together Flourish!


Writing can be an exciting pastime but a daunting career. There is the constant struggle to mold characters, enhance plot, and deal with concerns like theme, pacing, and arcs. Does it all flow together? Have you read it so often it's just an incomprehensible mishmash?


You don't have to do it alone. Find a critique group--other writers who understand the process and are willing to read and analyze your work.

You can find groups online or in person. Many writing communities offer opportunities for authors to get together. For instance, Sisters in Crime, and Romance Writers of America 
have subgroups that offer critique opportunities. Or you can search the internet.

If you want to meet in person, Google "writing critique groups" in your area or go to Meetup.



I started with an online group who's members were patient, kind and nurturing. When that group disbanded, I thought I knew everything about writing and entered an online auction, paying for an agent’s critique. I fully expected to become her client. I’m forever grateful. She kindly disabused me of my fantasy. Her critiques included backstory, head-hopping, no plot catalyst, and no stakes! I looked for another group. 


Using Meetup I met four diverse writers who became good friends.  Together, we improved my writing, and I published a short story.


When I moved to Florida, I used the Net to find a phenomenal new group, whose in-depth critiques helped me refine my technique and get a better grasp of my work. 

Constructing a story is an art. Thanks to my peers, I've learned to weave the strands together using economy of words, active voice, and tension.

Even though writing is a solitary profession, we don't have to isolate ourselves. Sharing ideas with a trusted cadre will not only enhance your skills, but present you with important new friends.

If you don’t have a writing group now, I recommend you find one soon.

Remember, Keep Writing!

1 comment:

  1. You know it, dear ...
    and especially Upstairs
    where we'll RITE forever:
    TurnOrBernie blogspot com
    GBY

    ReplyDelete